September 04, 2011

which sport for the 2012 season?

I finally feel like I'm healing up from my stomach flue. I'm not sure I feel well enough to pick up my training plan on Monday, but I'm pretty sure Tuesday I'll be back to working out consistently.

With all this time off from training I've started to dream about what I'll be training for after I finish Ironman Arizona. I've decided I'll be training for one of 2 options:

1) train for a mid season sprint distance triathlon & attempt to qualify for the 2012 Sprint National Triathlon Championships.

I've qualified for the national championships at the Half Iron distance & the Oly distance, but never the sprint distance, which is ironic because I'm a much better short course athlete.

2) Train for cycling specific racing. I really enjoyed racing Oak Flats RR last weekend but I didn't do well, I finished 32nd out of 38 Cat 5 riders. I'm very competitive, once I try a new sport I usually will become OCD with it until I can do it well. New Mexico has some amazing road races, time trials, criteriums, multi day road races, & omniums. If I choose to train for cycling here are some of the races I'm interested in:

April
Hayfield Roubaix

Adoption Exchange classic (this race is an omnium consisting of 2 days, 3 events consisting of a Criterium, Time Trial, and Road Race)

May
Galisteo Road Race

June
Santa Fe RR (2 days consisting of a Road Race & a Time Trial)

Crest Race

July
Santa Fe Hill Climb.

August
Oak Flats

September
Record Challenge Time Trial (worlds fastest 40k held in Moriarty NM)

It's awesome virtually all of them are local races.

No comments: