August 11, 2011

unexpected weight loss!

Back in early July I was given some great advise on training for Ironman & my body weight. I wanted to lose some more weight but was beggining to struggle with hunger. A few of my triathlete buddies told me to STOP trying to lose weight, just try & maintain my current weight &concintrate on Ironman training. I've dome that & I've never felt this good in my training.

I've been eating my bodies metabolic rate plus any calories I burn in exercize for the last 6 weeks. At first my body stayed at 186 very easily. But this last week I unexpectedly dropped another 3 pounds. I was suprised but also very happy. Light is fast in triathlon.

I believe my body dropped the weight because I was concintrating on giving my body all the calories & nutrition it needed while doing some fairly difficult endurance training. Have you ever been on a diet & got stuck at a weight & just couldn't seem to drop below that weight, then all of a sudden your body drops 4 pounds in less than a week? Those are called sticking points. I think I was at a sticking point & that my body finally realized it was getting all the calories it was needing so there wasn't a drought on food, so it was ok to drop that weight. I also believe my body is trying to adapt naturally to the training I'm putting it through. In the past if I trained like this & tried to lose weight by restricting my calories, even if only a small amount, I'd struggle with my training AND weight loss. I think I've finally accepted that I need to eat when training! My body is happiest & I respond best.

No comments: