July 07, 2011

masters swimming

Last month was the 1st time I started practicing my swimming since my youngest son was born in Oct 2009. I have my babies with me while my wife goes to school during the day & the day care at the pool won't watch my babies until they are 2 years old. For the last 21 months I never practiced swimming but was still able to maintain an average of a 6:15-6:40 swim in a sprint distance triathlon.

Although I've never been considered a particularly great swimmer, I think swimming is the event in triathlon I have the strongest natural ability for. I've never taken any swim lessons or swam with any groups or individuals. What I do in the water during races has been completely self taught.

For years I've wanted to get into a masters swim group. Since I work nights I couldn't find any where in Santa Fe that had a masters swim group that fit into my schedule.

I found out through a fellow triathlete that there is a masters swim group that meets Mon, Wed, & Fri's at the Salvador Perez pool here in Santa Fe! Yesterday was my 1st time swimming with them. I swam farther than I normally do on my own with faster splits. I got out of the water tired, but very motivated. I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen with my swimming now that I'll be practicing 3 times a week & have a masters swim coach to help me with my form.

While swimming with the masters I swam with a local Santa Fe'an named Lee who qualified for Kona while at IM St George. He finished St George in 9:56! I was thoroughly impressed! I'm glad I'll be able to be swimming with him. Hopefully some of his speed will rub off on me.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

It's great that you found that class. Can't wait to hear how your swimming improves.