July 03, 2011

Body weight fluctuations

A low body weight is imperative to being a fast Iron distance triathlete. The last two times I trained for an Ironman I kept dieting until I was miserable with hunger, then promptly fell off the diet wagon & gained all my weight back. I've decided to start a maintenance diet from here until Ironman Arizona.

I've started the build phase of my training plan, so I need my energy to recover, build fitness & speed. Being at a caloric deficit would hurt my Iron dreams. My current weight on my home scale is 186.8 pounds. Thanks to the great advise of a few of my Face Book buddies like my wife & James Webster I'm hoping my weight on race day will be 186 pounds.

I know I've posted things similar to this before. But it's different this time. Before my goal had always been to maintain for a short while so that I could start losing weight again as soon as I felt physically able. This time is different because my goal is to maintain. I'm staying at this weight for the next 5 months!

Thanks to the wise advise of my beautiful wife & James Webster, this is the one of the few intelligent decisions I've made in regards to my weight. Thanks guys.

1 comment:

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, hold it, and DO have several days a week where you eat a generous and delicious 2800-calorie diet without absolutely faithful logging, it is not sustainable over the long haul to control so carefully. You can do this! This sounds to me like truly a good weight in any case, but racing at 5-10 pounds overweight is going to lead to a much better training and racing year (and consistency over the long term) than dipping under where it's right to go and bouncing back up in a big way as a reaction...