June 27, 2011

Hydrostatic Body Fat Testing

Today I got a Hydrostatic Body Fat Test done at the UNM exercise physiology department. I weighed 188.4 pounds, @ 10.1% body fat, I have 169.4 pounds of lean mass & 19 pounds of fat. The person who gave me the test has a Ph.D. in exercise physiology. I told her I'd like to get lower, she said for a triathlete anything under 10% is perfect. She said once a person hits 5% they are putting themselves & their season in danger. Last July I was fast & lean but wanted more. I continued dieting until I got down to 184, then promptly fell apart & gained 50 pounds by the end of the year.

So what do y'all think? Drop to 185 7.5% for IMAZ or stay at 188?

2 comments:

Comm's said...

Not knowing how your body normally is, though you say you gained 50 lbs last year and took it off, I wouldn't worry about BF% if you're already at 10%. That 2.5% drop you're looking at, 25% of your current BF will come at a nutritional price in the midst of hardcore endurance training. I would tell my client focus on one goal, once you hit that focus on another. You want 7.5% BF or you want to finish IMAZ? I'd say if the first doesn't come naturally from the later, then the later is more important short term.

kristhekid2011 said...

I'd say to stay where you are at. Let your body rest from the weight cutting and continue w/ your plan. I also dont know how your body is, so if you can safely continue to drop weight w/out having to worry about your performance at IMAZ, go for it! I'm praying for you, coach.