April 02, 2011

Triathletes are great people

I'm going to compete in the MVT triathlon in Las Cruces New Mexico tomorrow morning. I was planning on sleeping in my mini van at the races parking lot to save money. Jason McClure a fellow triathlete I compete against regularly found out I was racing this weekend, he contacted me out of the blue & asked me to stay with him & his family. It was completely unexpected & appreciated.

Today on the way to MVT triathlon in Las Cruces I stopped at the Chick-fil-a for a diet lemonade. When I went to pay the cashier he handed me a piece of paper & told me the car in front of me paid for my drink. The paper said, "From your FCA-Endurance brother & sister in Christ. God Bless. The Tovar's.

When I first started training for triathlons I'd heard of a local triathlete by the name of Hector Tovar. He was one of' the fastest triathletes in the South West. He rarely finished a race outside of the top 2 in any race, & he was in my age group! Although we both race heavily I'd never had an opportunity to race him until The Spring Fling & Jay Benson triathlons in 2010. He was even faster than I imagined he was, I was pleasantly surprised how humble & friendly he was, but what impressed me most was he raced with a Fellowship Of Christian Athletes racing top on. I raced at those 2 races in my FCA gear also, & even though he & his wife were focused on the race (Hector being close to being in the lead) they both took the time to wave at another Christian triathlete. After the race they both came & talked to me for awhile. They were warm loving people who had a true love for the Lord. I only met them those 2 times, the last time was 11 months ago, yet somehow they still recognized & remembered me almost a year later sitting behind them at a drive through & paid for my drink.

Triathletes are some of the kindest people I've ever met. I'm so grateful to be a part of this amazing multisport community.

I believe that God worked through the McClures & Tovar's today to remind me that God is with me everyday in everything I do. It was a wonderful reminder & I was touched deeply today by God, the MCClure's & the Tovar's thoughtfulness. I will race tomorrow as the Lord requested for me to do by way of my kind fellow triathletes.

God speed & God bless!

No comments: