January 13, 2011

indecisive

A couple months ago I tried to get myself out of a serious state of cycling & swimming burnout by registering for The Memorial Hermann 70.3 & Ironman Arizona. Yet my burn burnout continued.

A few weeks ago I realized I was still enjoying running, it was just all the bike & swim miles I was dreading, so I decided to start training for my 1st 50 mile ultra endurance trail run. As a starting point & to start building up my mileage for my eventual 50 miler I signed up for the Albuquerque half marathon. So far training has been good. For the last 2 weeks I've done nothing but running & am enjoying myself thoroughly! Everyday I'm excited to put my run shoes on.

Now after only a couple weeks of pure running I'm starting to miss being on my bike. Just a little. By no means am I missing multiple hour bike rides! An hour a couple times a week would hit the spot. The fact that I'm already starting to get a small itch for my bike got me to thinking; perhaps I could continue running predominantly, cycling only a couple times a week on my recovery days. And if I continue to gain my motivation to bike, perhaps after I run in the Albuquerque half marathon in April I could be motivated to start Iron training for IMAZ. From April to November would give me 6.5 months to prepare, which is exactly how long most coaches suggest to train for an Iron. I think that would work well. After all, I did just drop $600 on an Ironman registration. To not race it would be absurd. To start training for IMAZ I'd have to give up my 50 mile trail run goal for awhile, which I'm fine with.... At least for now. Not sure if you've noticed, but when it comes to my athletic goals & aspirations I've been a bit indecisive.

No comments: