July 15, 2010

UNM physiology lab testing/sports specific training update

I have an appointment next week to go to the UNM physiology lab & get some tests done. I'll be getting my bike power to weight ratio & my body fat percentage tested.

I did this testing back in January of this year, & in January 2007. The previous 2 times I was tested I had my max VO-2, max heart rate, Ventilatory Threshold, & max watts tested. This time to save some green backs I'll only be getting my power to weight ratio & my body fat percentage tested.

I had decided to start getting tested regularly because I was planning on trying to get to as low of a body weight as I possibly could since light is fast in triathlon. It's important for me to get as light as possible without losing so much weight that I start to lose a lot of strength. The test I'm having done will measure my power to weight ratio. As long as my power to weight ratio continues to go up it means my body is happy & healthy with the weight loss, I'm still getting faster, & I can continue to lose more weight. Test results showing I'm doing well with my weight loss, & can continue to lose more weight would be:
-my body weight stays the same & my max power goes up.
-Or if my body weight drops & my max power stays the same
-the best scenario would be if I lost weight & my max power went up.

In 2004, I weighed 227 & my max watts was 399 making my power to weight ratio of 1.757 watts per pound of body weight. In Jan 2010 I weighed in at 207 pounds & my max watts went up to 410 giving me a pwer to weight ratio of 1.980 watts per pound of body weight!

The body fat testing I went through in January of this year showed I was at 18.4% body fat at 207 pounds. Right now I'm weighing in at approximately 188 pounds.

A couple posts ago I talked about sports specific training. More specifically that I was going to stop trail running & start doing all of my running on asphalt, because that's what I race on. My theory was sound because in 3 weeks my 4.1 mile zone 2 heart rate controlled run on asphalt went from 46 minutes to 39 minutes. To knock off 7 minutes in 3 weeks is a huge!

While playing around on the web I found that a couple years ago my blog made the list of the top 50 triathlon blogs. I was ranked 16th. Now I'm ranked 30th. Here's the link:

Top 50 Blogs in: triathlon - NetworkedBlogs.com

I'll be racing this weekend in the Santa Fe triathlon. The race start is 6 miles from my house, so I'll be racing to defend my home turf! There are usually some pretty fast hombre's that show up to this race, last year I finished in 1 hour 12 minutes 59 seconds & only took 9th place out of 14 in the 30-34 age group, 45th out of 280. This year I'm hoping to make top 3 in the 35-39 age group, top %3-5 overall! Whish my luck!

As soon as I can I'll post my Santa Fe triathlon race results & my UNM test results.

Peace!

2 comments:

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Just found your blog today. I am new to tri's and a clydesdale (220lbs). Thank you for the good reading adn motivation.

Podium quest said...

thanks Luke. You have a great blog also, I added your blog to my blog list.