November 17, 2008

6 days until Ironman Arizona & cold weather training

Well, 6 days until Ironman Arizona. By Sunday night I will be an Ironman. I feel strong & confident. My training regiment has been spectacular. I'm weighing at 220 right now. Not as low as I'd like, but more than low enough to race well. My family & I will be leaving for Tempe AZ on Thursday morning. Friday I'll get my race packet. Saturday is equipment drop off & the mandatory pre-race meeting. Sunday morning is the day I've been training for 5.5 years. God willing I will conquer this distance.

Race stats 7am Az time Sunday morning. If you'd like to track my progress get onto http://www.ironmanlive.com/ & type in my name, Cody Hanson. That sight will keep you updated on where I am on the course. It will give you my splits, time, average pace, etc.

Last week a small cold front had come through northern New Mexico. I'm weighing 35 pounds less than what I was last winter. Weighing less sure makes a person cold easier! It was about 51 degrees out. Last year I'd of been fine going on a bike ride in my usual attire of sweat pants & cotton T-shirt- yes I train in sweat pants & cotton T-shirts. Sweat pants only cost $7 at Wal-Mart & I get a cotton T-shirt @ every race I do (I usually average 12-16 races a year, that's a lot of free shirts). Cycling pants are around $60. Cycling shirts are $50. I'm much to cheap to train in a $150 outfit when for $7 I can ride/run in sweats & a free shirt. Every year I train all year long. Even on the coldest of days I still swim, bike, & run. Running in the cold is no problem. I just wear multiple layers & as I run & warm up I take layers off. I took a 45 minute run last winter in -9 degree with the wind chill. Not comfortable, but doable non-the-less.

Now, cycling in extreme weather is a little more difficult. As long as there is no snow or ice on the road I'll still go out & complete my scheduled rides. Up until this year I'd wear a Baklava, 1 or 2 pairs of gloves, multiple pairs of sweat pants and sweat shirts, & a conglomeration of stuff on my feet. For my feet I'd start off putting on a pair of cycling socks, then I'd put a plastic Wal-Mart bag over the socks, then I'd put on a pair of white cotton socks, then my cycling shoes, then if needed another Wal-Mart bag on top of the shoes, & lastly I'd put on a pair of cycling booties. This worked great in temps as low as 30 degrees. But anything colder than that & my feet would still get cold. Very cold. If my ride was long, by the time I got back my feet would often times be so cold they were completely & totally numb. When I got back from my bike ride & started my run I'd frequently stumble. It's not easy running when you can't feel your feet. I even fell a few times. Funny looking back, but sure wasn't funny at the time.

This year I've decided to spoil myself. I bought myself a pair of Lake CXZ302 Winter Road Shoe's, $250. Expensive, but these bad boys are good in temps as low as 10 degrees! I'm also going to buy a pair a clod weather gloves. I'm still unsure what pair to buy. I'd hate to spend the $ on a pair of cold weather cycling gloves only to find out the pair I bought doesn't work well. I was thinking of buying a pair of GORE-Tex BIKE WEAR Cross Gloves. Any suggestions on gloves that work well in freezing weather please share the info.

On a side note here, I took my 2 children in to get their hair cut on Monday at Jungle Cuts in Albuquerque. As my daughter was getting her hair cut I asked her jokingly if she wanted a hair cut like mine? She responded in her sweet little 3 year old voice "no Daddy, you have no hair on your head. It's all on your back." The 2 girls who worked in the shop laughed so hard they were crying. I was SO embarrassed. It's true, kids say the darndest things;)

11 comments:

SgtBeesWife said...

Yup, that Bell is one of us! I can't wait until she's older to hear more of what comes out of her mouth. You're in for it now!

Mom is looking forward to your visit. I know its a business trip for you, but still...

You'll do well and Travis and I will be tracking you the whole way. Prayers and hugs!

SWTrigal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SWTrigal said...

Your kids are adorable Cody-great to see you the other day..see you guys in Tempe!

S. Baboo said...

220, well, that's cool in a way because we will be heading into the race at the same weight. So, what is the finish time you are going for? Maybe you already posted but I have forgotten.

skoshi said...

Your little girl was funny! Probably just getting back at you for that monkey joke you pulled on her some time back...

I can't believe the layers you use to keep your feet warm when cycling. Your feet will be real pampered in those new shoes.

Good luck at IMAZ. We are all so wishing you the best.

rebecca hallin said...

I will be tracking you on Sunday! May God bless you and guide you along this race! I am pulling for you!!!!! I want to see that photo of Duane giving you a big kiss at the finish! You have done the training the race is the icing on the cake!

Ryan said...

Cody, I found you through Bigun and have been lurking for a few months now. Have a great race this weekend, I'll be send strong vibes your way.

So which division are you racing in, clyde or little person? As a fellow clyde I always like to see a brother in size crush the little ones.

Enjoy your day... and slow down and relish your time in the finishers chute because you earned it!

Iron Eric said...

Almost Race Day! good luck. Race well. Have fun.

Dave said...

Good luck this weekend!

rebecca hallin said...

CONGRATS! YOU ARE AND IRONMANQ. I watched the live feed and was hoping to catch you come across but I had to get to bed. I knew you would finish you must beon top of the world! great job

rebecca hallin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.