September 14, 2008

The Enchanted Circle Century

Sat Sept 7th I did the Enchanted Circle Century. This is my favorite ride of all time. The scenery is absolutely the most beautiful I've ever seen. The ride starts in Red River(8650 ft elevation) & goes through the city of Taos (6950 ft). From Taos to Angel Fire (8420) then up Bobcat Pass (9820 Ft) & back down into Red River.

This century has no flats. It is a course that would rival any day of climbing in the Alps.
At the 30 mile mark in a construction zone in Taos I hit a car who had no brake lights. I was knocked out for a few seconds. The right leg of the front fork on my one month old Cannondale Carbon Slice crumpled. I could pull on the leg & it moved out about 3 inches. Definitely not safe to ride on. Perhaps it was because of my head getting knocked around a bit, but I decided I could ride the 70 remaining miles of the ride. Stupid I know. But I did just that. Anytime I got to a speed at or above 25 MPH my bike would get the speed wobbles. That the left fork leg never broke was a near miracle. I'm now a true believer of Cannondale products.

My bike will be out of commission for 3 weeks while I'm waiting for a new fork. On top of that I got one heck of a flue this week. Today was the first day in almost 5 days that I didn't feel like death warmed over. So of course since I was feeling better I did a 73 mile bike followed by a 5 mile run. Again, not the smartest thing I've ever done. I blame this on my recent head trauma. I'm hoping today's 6 hr 32 minute brick doesn't prevent me from feeling better soon. Of course I should of rested, but I just can't make myself miss any training. Another Ironman DNF would crush me. Call me obsessive compulsive or just plain dumb. Either way, that's me. But I know one thing for sure, when I toe the line in November I will know I gave my everything in training for Ironman Arizona.

Peace, I'm out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just ain't right, boy.

Chris said...

Glad that you are ok Cody! Dude, you are outta control! ;-)

skoshi said...

I'm reading your post, and then, good-golly-wow--you got knocked out? I hope that driver stopped to help you. And, yes, silly, you are lucky the fork held on those up and down hills.
Bummer about your new bike, and the flu.
Glad you're OK, and feeling better.
I predict you'll do fine at the IM-You're certainly doing your homework.

SWTrigal said...

COdy-that really sucks my friend!!! Did you hit your head too? Geez-you have had a challenging year..

Bones said...

Cody, That is plum crazy! The head trama might have gone a little deeper that you thought! :)

Take care of yourself, it's just a race.