June 04, 2008

pain is my reward

After my DNF in Nov of last year I advised my coach Pete Alfino of Mile High Multisport that I was going to do everything within my power to lose weight so that I could be a better triathlete. My coach advised me that not only does being lighter make a triathlete faster, it also makes their bodies more able to handle larger training loads. Those aren't his exact words, I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the gist of it.

Apparently Coach Alfino thinks sub 190 is light enough to reward me with some serious pain. The month of June is going to be the hardest month of training I've experienced in my life. I'm really looking foreword to it. Here's the fun that I'm scheduled for in the month of June....
6th 10 mile run
7th 100 mile bike
8th off
9th 3100 yard swim
10th 40 mile bike
11th 60 mile bike
12th 40 mile bike
13th 3000 yard swim
14th 30 min run/1hr bike/30 min run/1hr bike
15th off
16th run 14 miles
17th 3400 yard swim
18th 1.5 hrs of hill work on the bike
19th run. 2 mile warm up. 5X800 meter intervals. 2 mile C/D
20th 3300 yard swim
21st 2 hr 45 min bike with 40 minutes at threshold
22nd off
23rd 14 mile run
24th 2850 yard swim
25th 1.5 hrs of hill work on the bike
26th run. 2 mile warm up. 5X800 meter intervals. 2 mile C/D
27th 3300 yards swim
28th 4 hrs of 20 minutes easy, 40 minutes zone 3. Followed up with a 45 minute run
29th off
30th run 30 min on treadmill

After this Ironman Arizona will be like a recovery day. This will be intense! This is why I call my coach "The Mad Scientist". I've got better results in any 4 months of being trained by him that I have in any year of being coached by another coach or any 1.5 years of self coaching. On top of getting in phenomenal physical form, this month will be the month that I get to my racing weight. Coach Alfino told me he doesn't want me losing weight once we get into the big blocks of Iron training. It would be entirely to exhausting on my body to be at a caloric deficit while putting in such hard & long training miles. So after this month, wherever I'm at with my weight I'll be just trying to maintain until the November Ironman Arizona.Thanks for tuning in. Peace!

2 comments:

Sluggo said...

Keep up the "pain" Cody, you're doing awesome. Can't wait to see you smoke the IMAZ course.

Tim "Sluggo"

Chris said...

Great new Blog look Cody!!