May 14, 2008

change of goals

Well. I'm down to 190 pounds. My average weight loss is about 1- 1.2 pounds a week right now. I'd like to be losing big numbers again like I was Nov-Feb. But hey, I'm only 10 pounds from the goal I'd set earlier in the year of 180. As long as I keep looking at the results & physique I've built for myself I'm able to avoid becoming frustrated, heck I get down right giddy. From 256 pounds to 190 since Nov. 66 pounds in 6 months. From a size 46 to a size 44. Not to
shabby. I am content with what I have done so far. But I'm not through yet.

I've decided I'm going to continue losing weight until I see it is a hindrance rather than a help to my triathlon speed. I'll be able to tell by the tests my coach Pete Alfino gives me every rest/test week & by watching my workouts very carefully. When I start feeling exhausted on long workouts I normally could handle & other signs like that I'll increase my calories to maintain my weight. Regardless of how light that is at that time. You see, I've learned that fat is
not just weight, it's speed. Skinny is not just a body type. Its a tactical necessity. I was able to talk to a local triathlon legend this weekend, Clay Mosely. He's one of the fastest triathletes in the South West. He told me he's 6 foot 1 inches tall & 175 pounds. Now that I have my nutrition dialed in I don't see any reason at all I can't get that low too, perhaps even lower. He's 2
inches taller than me afterall.

I just finished reading an AMAZING book called Lance Armstrong's War. Absolutely wonderful book. It was talking about how you can tell when a cyclist is on his peak physique because he has cheek folds. The book explains that cyclist get to the point where they no longer have enough fat to have dimples when they smile, so their skin just folds. I'll stop myself before I get to that
point I'm sure. But I'll let my performance tell me when enough is enough. It's funny how life changes a persons opinions on things. I grew up idolizing Arnold Scharzinegger & Sly Stalone. I just wanted to be big & strong. When I trained I always lifted weights & that's all. But now I've actually gone the other complete opposite way & am willing to try & lose some upper body muscle to gain an advantage of speed on the bike & run. All I do is cardio barely any weights at all. Definitely no lifting for size anymore. Never would I have guessed that this would happen.

1 comment:

S. Baboo said...

That's funny because as a rugby player i was always thinking big, big, big but now I really don't care I just need the strength and size to go as fast and as far as I can and any extra is all waste.