April 27, 2008

Atomicman duathlon post race report





Atomicman duathlon post race report.
I completed the Atomicman duathlon today. The Atomicman duathlon is by far my favorite race of all time, followed closely by the Buffman & Squeaky triathlon in Lubbock Tx. Which will be my next race on May 18th by the way. I ended up swithching my registration at the Atomicman
from the long course to the short one. It was a 4k run, 15k bike, 4k run. Last year I had done the Little boy course (that's what they call the short course) & PR'd it with a 1;11 time.

I got off of a 12 hr work shift this morning at 5am. Drove straight there and raced on no sleep. Both of my runs were great, but I threw a chain on the decent of Ocho canyon. By the time I got the bike stopped, put the chain back on, & got back up to speed I'd lost no less than a minute, probably allot more. Even with the thrown chain I finished in 1:07:13 taking 10th overall, & 1st place in the 30-34 AG. My 2 runs were an 18:25 which averages out to a 7:28 ave & a 19:00 for an ave of 7:36! My bike time was a 28:29 which averages out to a 19.6 mile per hour average. Those were by far my best runs ever, considering how hilly this course is those times still seem a little unbelievable to me. Turns out I was 45 seconds behind the 8th place guy. If I hadn't of had mechanical problems on the bike I'd of been in 7th or 8th place. Not to bad for a recovering fat guy eh?
My coach, Peter Alfino, has really been doing miracles with my training. The longer he works with me the more he knows what my body is capable of. He told me when I hired him the longer he trains me the better results I'll get from his training plans. I believed him, but I had no idea he could get me this fast. I never dreamed I would be able to race as fast as I did this weekend. I've been coached by other coaches before. Some were better than others. But coach alfino has been performing near miracle typ results with me. He's in a class of his own. He says if I continue to follow his plan he's pretty sure I'll finish IMAZ in 13 hrs or less! & to think I'm still in the base phase of training where athletes tend to be slow. Can't wait to see what will happen when I get into my build/speed phase!

4 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Dude-
You no longer have the right to call yourself the "fat guy" You look so svelt and athletic! Congratulations!!

Mile High Multisport said...

I say we re name this blog, The athlete formally known as Cody the Clydesdale

Bigun said...

Hey great race...keep at it for IMAZ!

skoshi said...

Hey Cody, you look great!
Congratulations on your age group win.
Those are some smokin' times.
I'm sorry I missed the race (signed up for the long course but was sick)--it's one of my favorites also, but it also hurts! :)