April 07, 2008

2 wrongs don't make a right

I missed my 1st long bike on Saturday since the birth of my son on Aug 5th 2007. I never miss long days. I've called in sick to work rather than miss a long work out. The reason I'm so vigilant about completing my long runs & bikes is I know a triathletes most important workout is their long bikes & runs. I'm so obsessive compulsive that when I do miss them I get so upset I end up falling apart on my diet. & this weekend fall apart I did!

My family & I were going to Las Cruces for a weekend getaway. I hopped on my bike at first light, 6am, to insure I'd get in my workout, but my rear derailleur stopped shifting about an hour into my long ride on Sat. By the time I got back to the house & got my bike shop to get it working, it was time for us to leave. I spent the entire weekend stuffing my face with cookies, candy, coke, pizza. Oh boy, it was a bad couple days.

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right. But I just couldn't stop the feeding motion! I'm surprised I didn't end up with carpal tunnel syndrome. As bad as this weekend was there is good news. I stopped. In the past once something triggered my emotional eating I wouldn't stop for weeks. The more I ate the madder I'd get at myself. The more upset I got the more I'd eat. This time, after 2 days I stopped. 2 days isn't something I'm going to say is ok. It's going to take awhile for my weight to recover from that kind of eating. But I'm learning to stop the avalanche thanks mostly because of some great skills a buddy of mine taught me. There's light at the end of this problem. I'm not trying to fool myself by saying "some day I won't have this issue." But I'm definitely learning skills to better deal with my issue with food. Hey, at least it's not a heroin or crack problem.

While I was in Las Cruces someone stopped and asked if I was Cody? He said he reads my blog & he thanked me. I was floored. Took me completely by surprise, in a good way. My readership is way down. I know that's because I haven't had the time to read others blogs & post comments. Working 72 hrs a week & trying to train for triathlon at least 15 hrs a week has really limited my free time. But someone thanking me for what I'm putting in my blog was sure a high point of the weekend for me. all in all it wasn't the best weekend. But it was a weekend full of future potential.

Peace! I'm out!

3 comments:

SWTrigal said...

Cody-I still read your blog! As for stopping the eating-good for you..it must be so hard to have that kind of eating obsession since food is around ALL THE TIME!At least with drugs or cigarettes you never have to look at them, much less limit the intake like food. You should be proud of yourself!

Chris said...

Still reading here too! Your success is, quite honestly, very inspiring to ame as a fellow clydesdale , wanna-be age grouper.

Getting off the pth for only a few days is HUGE compared to where you have been and I can totally relate. It's like being at the edge of the food cliff and deciding not to jump in at the very last minute.

This time two days, next time 1 day and then the next time (as if...) only an hour of "bad medicine".

Congrats man, you have the power! :-)

Mike said...

I'm still reading (and enjoying) your progress. Good job on the stopping the overeating. Cool that someone recognised you from the blog :)