November 29, 2007

So Much More Than a GuardI AM A CORRECTIONAL PROFESSIONAL

So Much More Than a Guard
Submitted Anonymously

I am a PERSON
I am young and old, tall and short, man and woman, and I am of all faiths
I am a father, mother, brother and sister, I am a son and a daughter, and I am a single parent
I am from all parts of this great country and I am a citizen of my community
I wear a uniform, I maintain the highest standards and I represent my agency
I see things that hurt my soul and damage my spirit, but I maintain hope
I lead by example and I am a good and decent human being
I have a family of loved ones at home and a family of partners at work
I feel, I care, I rejoice. I am a PERSON
I am a WORKER
I am well-trained and part of a GOOD TEAM
I work with men, women and youthful offenders; I work with many cultures, races and faiths
I work evenings, nights and weekends, holidays and birthdays
I stand a post, man a tower, carry a gun, I transport, search and move offenders
I train staff, write policy, maintain standards and keep safety high
I supervise good people and hold my partners accountable
I maintain buildings, locks, vehicles, radios, phones, computers, fences and weapons
I work behind the scenes in cramped offices to make sure the ship keeps running smooth
I am sometimes verbally and physically abused, yet I maintain my professionalism
I accept my work is stressful, and I maintain my honor.
I am a WORKER
I am a PROVIDER
I provide good food, clean clothes, and I provide Protection
I provide education, vocation, work skills and opportunity
I provide GED, reading, writing and math classes, and recreation
I provide medical, dental and vision care, I provide hospice care and dignity
I provide re-enter opportunities, legal access and religious programs, I provide hope
I provide mental health, substance abuse and anger treatment
I provide a bed, a roof, warmth and food.
I am a PROVIDER
I am PROTECTOR
I keep offenders safe while sleeping, working, resting and playing
I supervise parolees and offenders in community corrections and ISP
I provide suicide watch to protect people from themselves
I control contraband and maintain facility and public safety
I control access, I keep offenders in and others out
I protect offenders, partners, visitors and volunteers from harm
I protect the public, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year–all day, every day.
I PROTECT Them, Us and YOU

I do what I do because I serve my community, my agency, my state and my country.
I am a Person, a Worker, a Provider and a Protector.
I am not a guard. I am your Correctional Professional.

No comments: