November 09, 2007

Pre-Silverman Thoughts.....

Well I got to Boulder City Nv yesterday. Got our RV & set it up about a mile away from the swim start. I'd forgotten that Las Vegas was in a valley & that the surrounding area was so dang hilly! Down right mountainous. I can see now that the Silverman web site wasn't exaggerating on the difficulty of the course. I plan on driving the course today to get a feel of what to expect.
My cold hasn't gotten any better. It's no worse, but not better yet either.
Sore scratchy throat, a little weak, a cough, & coughing up a ton of crap. I'm not worried about that though. I have the heart & will power to grind my way through pain & fatigue. As long as my body is capable of getting me to to the finish line in the 18 hr cut off range, my heart can push my body there in under 17 hrs.
It's funny walking around with all these skinny triathlete's having the same goal as me here I am built more like an offensive lineman. I never get intimidated. It's just not a feeling I get often. But I have been feeling...... unworthy. I feel deep down that I will accomplish this Iron dream of mine on Sunday. But I get a little humiliate when a skinny tri guy & I get into a conversation about the upcoming race. They inevatably give my ample frame the once over whith a slight look of surprise & doubt. I'm to the point where I'm just getting my prerace stuff done without much conversation because I don't want to have to defend myself anymore with the usual funny comments of "I may be large, but this big guy can move!" or "I've put in more than enough training miles. Don't let my matabolism fool you." I know I have never felt the amount of pain that someone feels who is discriminated against because of the color of their skin. But I can definately relate. I now know what it's like to be judged by my outside shell rather than what I am able to acomlpish. I just want to quietly get registered, get to the start line & proove myself by my actions. I have never wanted to do well in a multisport so badly. I want to get my finishers medal & know I proved their knee jerk opinion of me DEAD WRONG! There are only 4 people in my division & I would love to be able to walk up & get my top 3 award, turn around with my head held high & let all those who doubted the fat guy know.....I AM IRONMAN!

11 comments:

Bones said...

Hey Cody,

I'm rooting for you!!! Go get 'em and have a good time!
-Mark

T said...

Cody, just keep moving forward...That is all it is about.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Good luck Cody - just keep swimming!

Mike said...

Good Luck!

S. Baboo said...

Cody, Focus! Fat or skinney we are all in this together. Sometimes a look is just a look and we are really our own worst judge.

Chris said...

You can do it! Your body has done the training now enjoy the race and believe in your training.

We'll be praying for you too! :-)

Chris

SWTrigal said...

Cody-
Good luck buddy. I did Soma starting to get sick too. It only really hit after the race was over (and had a PR) so hope you are healthy enough to race and have fun-well don't know about the fun part but be safe!

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Cody, I know that soon you'll be swimming. I've heard the water is nnice (70 degrees) but the bike and run path are NOT. I hope you're feeling better and got lots of sleep.

Bigun said...

getter done, big guy!

Cheryl said...

Praying that you will be successful in reaching your goal, that your cold will not hold your back, so you can finish the race, and be VICTORIOUS! God speed, Cody.

Chris said...

Hope all is well. I didn't see a finish time.........

God Bless