October 11, 2007

Palm pilot, Drizzit the pet snake N such

Like I wrote yesterday on my blog I not only don't mind working as much as I
have been. I'm actually loving it! The only thing I wasn't enjoying about it was
that I was really missing keeping in touch w/ my internet/email buddies,
checking out my tri club's chat board, surfing the web, & blogging. I simply
don't have the time to be on a computer at all. Well my wonderful wife took care
of that for me. She bought me a Palm Pilot (it's a phone/computer combined into
one small & portable device) that I can surf the web on, and even receive & send
emails from the same email account I have on my home PC! I thought it would be difficult to use, but it is suprisingly idiot proof. It works almost the same as my phone & my home PC would. Which I suppose makes sense because that is exactly what it is.
I was able to figure out pretty much everything w/ just the directions except
how to make it so that my Palm Pilot receives/sends emails on the same email
account as the one on my home PC. To get a little more spacific to show how cool it is when my home PC gets an email, my Palm Pilot gets the email too.



So anyhoo I needed to call technical support to synchronize it to my PC. I was
on the phone w/ technical support for 2.5 hrs trying to get that done. They'd
have me do something on the phone, then if it didn't work I would hear the
techy start typing furiously on her computer to see what the next step should
be. Sometimes it would only take a couple moments, but sometimes it would take
up to 5 minutes before she'd be prepared to have me try something else.
After about an hour & a half I started getting up between attempts to do things
around the house. Once she said she was ready to try something else I'd run back
to the computer/phone. On one of those times I opened up my pet snakes cage to
change it's water. When my tech person came back for round 72 or however many &
that point I went back to where my computer & phone was About 10 minutes before
I had to leave for work the synchronizing was finally complete.



I went to the kitchen to grab my lunch box & saw my snakes water bowl on the
counter. I finished filling it w/ water & put it into the cage where my snake
should of been. But my 6' snake wasn't in there anymore! Oh crap!!!
Let me give you a little back ground here. My wife is scared to death of any
snakes larger than a foot or so. Under a foot long & she can tolerate it- she
doesn't like it, but she can tolerate it. The only reason I was allowed to have
this snake was because I found it outside in our yard when it was a hatchling.
It wasn't any longer than 5 inches or so when I found it. It couldn't of been
more than a few weeks old because it still had that large head w/ odd bulging
eyes that snakes have when 1st hatched. I asked if I could have it, & she said
yes because she was under the impression that it was an adult. Honestly I didn't
tell her that it was an adult. But I didn't tell her she was wrong either. I
started feeding it as much as it would eat so it would grow as big as possible.
Next thing my wife knows we have a 6' snake living w/ us. She hates it, but
doesn't make me get rid of it because she knows how attached I've become to it.
I named it Drizzit after the star of my favorite book.



So it's time for me to go to work & my beloved Drizzit is loose in the house. To
make it even worse my Mom is on her way over & she's bringing her Yorkshire
Terrier she calls Guss. My bullsnake Drizzit is big enough to eat Guss. He he
he- no wait, sorry, that wouldn't be funny. I've gotten a demented sense of
humor after working 12 years in a super max prison. Remind me to tell you the
story of the inmate who I watched rip his own face off. Yeah, true story.- But
anyway, back to the story of the large free meal for Drizzit. He he he. Just so
you know though, Guss doesn't meet his demise from my snake. I'm not that
demented to write about it jokingly the night of the death of my Mom's dog. No,
he's not dead, I'm saying that hypothetically. Ok. Back to the story of Drizzit
the bull snake.



I looked for him as long as I could. But it finally got to the point where I was going to
be REALLY LATE if I didn't leave right then. I was hoping Drizzit wouldn't
surface until I got home from work & could find him. I wasn't @ work more than
45 minutes before my wife calls work & demands they send me home to get this
DA*M snake ouy of her house. I did notice she said her house, not ours. So of
course my supervisor can't just send someone out to relieve me from my post
quietly. He has to say over the radio "officer Hanson come to the front entrance
so you can go home and get a snake out of the house for your wife." Oh boy. The
comments stated being shot out of the radio right away. "Hey Cody you need an
extraction team to be assembled?" "hey Cody don't worry we'll call in the ERT
Team right away" someone even said "the snake is connected to Sancho so you
better bring a big net". For those who don't know what a Sancho is, it's Spanish
for "the other man".



When I get to the house I'm sweating because I ride my bicycle to & from work & I rode home as fast as I could because I was having visions of me getting home & finding Drizzit cut into pieces by my wife brandishing a shovel. When I got home & walked into the house I realized my worries were not realistic at all. My wife was on top of the kitchen table with a can of Spam
being pointed & the other side of the house like a pistol. Turns out she saw
Drizzit while preparing a pan for frying. LOL. I walked over and picked up my
snake ever so lovingly so as not to spook it & started walking towards my wife
while explaining that there nothing to worry about because it's our snake
Drizzit. I assumed that when I explained it wasn't a wild animal, but was our
pet snake she would no longer be scared. WRONG!!! When she saw me getting closer
w/ the snake she started screaming bloody murder! When Drizzit heard my wife
screaming he started thrashing around trying to get out of my arms to hide. When
Drizzit started thrashing around my wife let out a bone curdling scream that
should of awoke the dead! It reminded me of the scene in E.T. When Drew Barrymore and
E.T. are introduced and both start screaming uncontrollably. He he he.
I told my wife to calm down, she was scaring him. Wrong answer! After I finally
got Drizzit back into his cage my wife was FURIOUS that I was worried about the
snake instead of her when I should of seen how distressed she was.... She had a
good point too. Wish I would of thought of that before she pointed it out to me
none to kindly. He he he.



Well needless to say I didn't need to stay home to comfort her. I was
unceremoniously kicked out and told to go back to work before she made matching
wallets & boots out of both of us. He he he.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Was this entry written on the Palm Pilot or has she actually let you back in the house.

Great story!!! :)