August 10, 2007

A bonding experience with my daughter




For the last 4 years I've tried to live a very active life style not only to be healthier, but also to be a good example for my daughter. I often take her to the track with me loaded with toys that she can play with on the football field in the middle of the track I end up running on. She'll play around in the grass or the long jump pit entire time I run. While the family watches movies I often ride my indoor bike trainer. I also take her to the pool or park on every one of my days off. I wasn't sure if I was making a difference in the way she'll live her life, but I enjoy living like this. And I really do hope my life style can create healthy choices made by her later in life.
About 5 months ago I bought my daughter a pink Dora the Explorer bike and a pink Princes helmet. I jumped the gun on that one let me tell you. Her little feet couldn't even reach the peddles. She got on the bike that had pink training wheels maybe two times at the most. Both times she got on it I made her wear a helmet. Although she thought the helmet was pretty, she hated wearing it! After 5 months I assumed she would have forgotten all about her helmet and what it was used for.
Today I was scheduled to ride 1.5hrs. I wasn't motivated at all. I grabbed my cycling shoes and helmet, set them in my chair and that's where they stayed for over 2 hrs. I was pretty sure I was going to miss this one. Then around 6:30pm my 22 month old baby girl walked up to me with both of our helmets in her hands. She looked up at me with those big blue eyes and said "please!". I have a bike cart for her but I had never taken her on a training ride with me before. She wanted to go with me on my bike ride and she was even willing to wear her helmet if that meant she could go with me. My heart skipped a beat, and my eyes started filling up with tears. Not only was I touched because she wanted to be with me no matter what it was I was planning on doing. But I also realized all my efforts of exercising in front of her was paying off.
I grabbed us both bottles filled with water, we put on our helmets, and she crawled into the cart before I could even hook it to my bike. I was a little worried that if I did my usual 22 mile loop she'd get bored or uncomfortable and start crying. I wanted to make sure this was a pleasurable experience for her, but the Bonanza loop is really the only place with a shoulder large enough to feel safe riding while pulling my precious cargo. I decided to ride the loop and hope for the best. We ended up doing a 1hr 44 minute 22 mile bike ride. She did great. The entire ride she kept herself occupied and really seemed to enjoying herself. All in all I believe it was a great experience for her. I know this was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I sure love being a Dad.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You will never win a trophy that is as cool as that. Sweet.

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I did not know that they made helmets that small. that is too cute! Do they make newborn helmets for the sonny boy?

Two years ago I saw a guy with a special tandem on which sat two of his children. Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Kids have a funny way of being like Jiminy Cricket.

SWTrigal said...

Ahh, that brought tears to my eyes..your daughter already knows how good training is for the spirit!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

OMG. She is so unbelievably cute - and she has you twisted around her delicate little finger.

Of course. And who could resist a pikachu like that? I couldn't!

it's wonderful that she enjoys it - let her take the lead on that. I took my kids on a 20+ mile hell-ride in their cart - bribed them and everything. They seemed miserable the whole way, grumpy and fighting, but when we got home they said "mommy that was fun let's do it again!"