June 15, 2007

Ouch, dissed by Ironman

I just got off the phone with Steve from Ironman. He was very polite, but advised me that it's Ironmans stance that "to insure the integrity of professional athletics we can't lower the standards of Kona or Clearwater by creating another division for genetically disadvantaged athletes." He said the other races like the Tri One O One are grass roots races. They are good for feeling more competitive at the longer distance races, but the quality competitors aren't at those races. The best want to race with the worlds best.

He was polite, but I have to say I was not happy with the response. I think with enough requests there will be changes made. Contact them and request new divisions for the, as they say: genetically disadvantaged athlete. Until then I'll be completely content to do "grass roots" races like the Tri One O One and avoid Iron sponsored races.

3 comments:

S. Baboo said...

Man Cody, you've been busy with the IM Corp.

I have just two IM corp races that I want to do, IMAZ - done and IMCDA, which I'll do in 08. Beyond that I will get in Louisville this summer but I can't see myself traveling to Lake Placid or Canada and though we have friends in Florida there is supposed to be a better iron distance race there anyway, the Great Floridian...but still, that's a long way to travel.

I had a great experience at the Redman and have several iron distance races that I'd like to do that are not the IM brand.

As far as Tri One O One being "grass roots" and lacking "quality competitors", well, it's their first year and they are putting up a lot of money for the pros. I bet it will grow and their support for Clydes and Athenas make me want to support them and that's why I'm doing their championship race this year even though I already have a very stressful long-course schedule.

BTW, if you do an IM race as a Clyde or Athena and you hit a qualifying time in your age group you still get the Kona slot. The top Clydes are getting times that are either qualifying or very close to it. Even if IM gave Kona slots to Clydes I am a long-long way from actually qualifying...there are a pretty large number of blisteringly fast long-course Clydes. I think my speciality is more short course.

Bigun said...

for the NA folks, I think it's a case of if it aint broke, dont' fix it. Plus, if you really take a hard look at the growth, or lack of it, of Clydesdale/Athena participation in half and full IM distance races, you'll see (I've put the spread sheets together, but can't find them now for the life of me...) that it's pretty flat compared to the growth of regular AG racers.

101 is a great race - I'll be in Woodlands to race with Myles (although he's just a Clyde 2 - lightweight) and what's turning out to be a decent Clyde field. Clyde 1 with 101 is a joke - 185 - 199lbs; isn't the Wildman about 185? Anyway, the number of Kona qualifiers is probably a finite thing, so they'd have to take away slots from AG'ers for Clydes - I just don't see that happening. It would be nice, but...

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Genetically disadvantaged? GENETICALLY DISADVANTAGED? You know, from everything I've heard, I think that once I get my finish and my M-dot tattoo, the IM people can kiss my genetically disadvantaged butt.