June 14, 2007

Gallop triathlon

This Saturday is the Gallop Sprint triathlon. It is a South West challenge series race. This is a first year triathlon and is in a place that I'm unsure how many will show to race. On one side of the coin I'm thinking not many people will show for a first year race in Gallop NM, so this may be a cherry picker (a term for a race where there's a low turn out so your guaranteed a higher placing than one would usually place). Let's face it, I don't think Gallop could be considered a destination race. On the flip side this race is only a couple hours away from Albuquerque. Alb is a race starved region let me tell you. There are over 1 million people who live in the Alb metro area, but there are only 3 multi sport races inside the city that I know of.

So far this year I've taken 7 first place finishes in the Clydesdale 39 and under division in the South West challenge series. The South West challenge series is a multi sport series made up of around 26 races spread throughout New Mexico and West Texas. The SW series scores a season by taking an athletes top 8 races of the year. Last year I took 2nd place in the series with 74pts. This year I already have 76 pts. If I could get a top 3 finish in Gallop I'd feel pretty confident I'd get another top 3 finish for the 07 series.

The Gallop tri is a C race for me so I'm not tapering at all. Last night I had a horrible time sleeping, this morning my resting heart rate was 6 beats per minute above where it usually is. These are 2 classic signs of over training. I've also been trying to find a more comfortable position on my bike. When a triathlete messes with their bike set up it usually takes awhile to get their body used to the new racing position. So things aren't looking particularly optimistic as far as getting a high finishing place. But if I raced with my only goal being to finish at the top I'd be a very unhappy triathlete. I race for the love of the sport. I race for the camaraderie. I race to push myself through pain, to see where my limits are and to try to pass that point. I'm really exited about this race because the odds are not in my favor. I love to be the under dog, because I'm a survivor. In my opinion a good race is one where a person pushes themselves through adversity. I guarantee you regardless of if I finish in first place, or last, I will push myself throught the entire race.

If I get a 1st or 2nd place Clydesdale 39 and under I'll only do one more SW series race so I can concintrate on my family, church, upcoming baby, and training for my upcoming 140.6. The other race I'll do will be Bottomless lakes triathlon which is the state club championships race.

I'll give you the post race report as soon as I can. Thanks for tuning in.

1 comment:

Duane said...

Good luck Cody! By the time you get into my age group I will be down to a regular Clyde size and gunnin' for ya! :-) Have fun this weekend!